The Penang Club Evolution

Our story

The Penang Club Evolution

Established in 1868

From the Pinang Club to a modern Penang institution

More than 150 years of fellowship, tradition and Penang history.

Penang Club continues to preserve its quiet character while serving a diverse modern membership.

Historic Penang Club

Milestones

More than a century and a half

1868

The Pinang Club is founded

Walter Scott became the Club's first President, with F. C. Bishop serving as Honorary Secretary.

1908

A recognised social landmark

Published accounts described seafront premises acquired for GBP10,500, with reading, billiard and card rooms, a breezy verandah, residential quarters, a bowling alley, monthly dances and race-week balls.

1964

A broader membership

Jimmy Ong Huck Lim became the Club's first Asian President for 1964-1965 and served a second term in 1965-1966.

1965

The present clubhouse opens

Member and architect George Davidson designed the present building. Constructed by Ong Chim Poh for $218,900, it opened on 10 December 1965 with membership then below 500.

1975

The Club patronage

Penang Governor Tun Sardon Bin Zubir became Patron in 1975, followed by Tun Datuk Haji Awang Bin Hassan in 1981.

1979

Squash returns

A new squash court was built after the original court had been removed with the old clubhouse.

1981

The swimming pool opens

The swimming pool expanded the Club's recreation facilities for members and families.

1988

Seafront expansion

A substantial seaside addition created the upstairs Family Dining Room and a covered ground-floor Patio.

Today

Tradition continues to evolve

The Club balances inherited traditions and quiet ambience with the needs of a broad, modern membership.

From the archives

The fuller Club story

The Pinang Club begins

The Club was established in 1868 as the Pinang Club. Walter Scott, a member of the Penang State Legislative Council, was its first President and F. C. Bishop its Honorary Secretary. Although no complete early archive survives, published accounts preserve important details of its development.

The seafront club in 1908

The 1908 publication 20th Century Impressions of British Malaya described the Club as the centre of Penang social life. Its seafront premises had recently been acquired for GBP10,500 and included an entrance hall, Committee and Secretary rooms, a large reading and general room, four-table billiard room, card rooms, a sea-facing verandah, harbour-view residential quarters and an American bowling alley. Members held monthly Cinderella dances and twice-yearly race-week balls.

Early leadership and Dr. Brown

The 1908 account named J. W. Hallifax as President and J. G. Berkhuijsen, D. W. Gilmour, F. J. Hallifax, C. A. Law, H. Pickenpack, A. R. Adams, E. W. Presgrave and Dr. F. M. T. Skae on the Committee. Secretary Dr. D. A. M. Brown, born in 1871, studied at Harrow and Trinity Hall, Cambridge, captained the Varsity Golf Club in 1891, joined the Perak Civil Service and entered business with Richard P. Phillips in 1894. He also served several Penang commercial, insurance, turf, town and golf organisations.

Tradition and change

In the Club's 1993 125th Anniversary Souvenir Magazine, President R. J. Manecksha reflected on inherited traditions and the need to adapt as society changed. The former expatriate enclave broadened its membership after independence to include members from across Penang society, while the Club continued to protect the quiet ambience valued by its members.

A broader membership

By 1961 Asian members included Eusoffee Abdoolcader, Jimmy Ong Huck Lim, I. K. Cheah, Fanson Kuo and Martin Koh. Jimmy Ong became the first Asian President in 1964-1965 and served again in 1965-1966. I. K. Cheah served in 1967-1968 and 1972-1973, while Fanson Kuo served in 1969-1970.

Life in the old clubhouse

The old building featured a high portrait of Queen Victoria surrounded by portraits of past Presidents, upstairs residential chambers, a well-regarded Grill Room and chef, and a squash court in the grounds. Access for ladies was historically restricted outside the Grill Room, chambers and special occasions. A brass safety rail from the old Men's facilities was later preserved in the upstairs Men's room of the new Club.

The changing social scene

During the early 1960s the old Club was used mainly by older members, while the Penang Sports Club became associated with the Rock and Roll era and even hosted the Dutch Swing College band. The condition and limited appeal of the old premises strengthened the case for a modern replacement.

Building the present Club

About 120,000 square feet of land nearest the road was sold at $4.00 per square foot to finance redevelopment. The Club retained 53,121 square feet facing the sea with a right of way to the main road. Former President and architect George Davidson designed the present clubhouse, which contractor Ong Chim Poh built for $218,900. Governor Raja Tun Uda Al Haj Bin Raja Muhammad opened it on 10 December 1965, when total membership was below 500. The project also cleared the bank overdraft and left funds on deposit.

Administration and member numbers

Jimmy Swales served as President in 1966-1967 and later as Honorary Secretary until his death in February 1974. Grummitt, Reid & Co. kept the accounts, with Jock Reid serving as Treasurer. Because its clerk knew members' signatures, Club numbers were unnecessary until illness and growing membership led to their introduction in 1974. Mr. Teh Kim Phoe worked in the Club office from November 1961 and later served as Secretary until February 1989. After Jock Reid died in July 1976, Coopers & Lybrand handled the finances.

Facilities grow

A replacement squash court opened in 1979, a swimming pool followed in 1981, and a major seafront addition completed in 1988 created the upstairs Family Dining Room and covered ground-floor Patio. Successive Committees continued encouraging members to use the Club, attend General Meetings and take part in its future.

Archive

Fragments of club history